Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sweet Potato Hash


I make a version of this hash a few times a month. My kids love it and it's just fantastic. I serve it with barbecue pork or roast chicken and of course, turkey - since this is a Thanksgiving post.

It's basically the same thing as my Corned Beef Hash recipe but without the beef.

It takes a little while to cook but it is completely worth it!

Sweet Potato Hash

2 pounds sweet potatoes (yams)
4 strips of thick cut bacon, diced
1 shallot or half a large onion, diced
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
salt and pepper to taste

==

I had 2 giant sweet potatoes that I started with.


Slice and dice in about 1/2 inch pieces.



Toss into a bowl of water if not using immediately. I use ice water to keep them nice and cold.


You can keep these overnight in the fridge, no problem.


Dice up your bacon. 


Yum
Toss into a cold, large non-stick pan with a couple tablespoons of water to ensure even heating.

Turn the heat to medium and render your bacon.


I always season my bacon with a bit of pepper.


When your bacon is crisp, add the shallot (or onion).


Season with some salt and more pepper.


When the shallots have cooked down, about 5 minutes, add the (drained) sweet potatoes. I can only fit about 2 pounds in my pot. I cooked the extras separate for my kids.

They love them some sweet potatoes.


Toss to combine.


Throw in the 1/2 cup of heavy cream and toss again.


Cook over medium-high heat until the sweet potatoes are tender.

You'll want to toss fairly often to promote even browning.


After about 30 minutes, you should have nice tender sweet potatoes with a crisp crust on each one. Adjust heat so you don't burn the bottom.

==

This hash is to die for, seriously. I try not to be one of those, "everything's better with bacon on it" people, but this is definitely one of those times.

The smokiness does a good job of pairing with the inherent sweetness of the dish so you avoid that typical holiday sugar sweey potato flavor profile we all grew up with. This is still sweet, but balanced. The bacon is a nice texture element as well as the exterior of the sweet potatoes - crispy shells holding creamy interior.

I can't say enough good things about this dish. Give it a go!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...